Friday, January 25, 2013

Speaking up for Anthony

He's a rock star!
On My little guys' behalf, My Ant, who is a hard working little bug, I Speak Up.

Anthony may not be talking like other kids his age or running around in circles(he tends to walk in circles instead), but he is a person, just like the rest of us. We all run on different circuits, choosing when we want to eat, talk, and laugh. So, in his honor, I say, Anthony, like many other children with the extra chromosome, will be chattering away and dashing around like a Pixar character in his own time. So, please don't ask me when he will talk. Maybe if some people would be quiet for awhile they might hear him say, hi or baba. I understand it's just how many start a conversation, and I'm okay with that.


Having Anthony has opened me up a lot - I do speak up more - and I realize that like us people with any form of special needs/disabilities are people. People are people (and Depeche Mode, I need not quote), and we all want the same thing - to be accepted and to not be judged based on our looks, our lifestyle, and in my Ant's case(and many others), an extra chromosome. They didn't ask for that, yet they do the best with it and are amazing people!

I know this is just how the world is, there are lots of ignorant, mean, and downright nasty people.
So I speak up - to everyone -
Insensitivity and cruelty are more horrible than having an extra chromosome could ever be.
To those who abuse the word "retarded" I speak up - well, mostly those who use the word in a derogatory way, especially those that see nothing wrong with saying it when there is a whole community that is trying to help those with special needs be treated more like the rest of us.

I've spoken my piece and Peace out...

3 comments:

Alison said...

It's so important to speak up for our kids isn't it?

Unknown said...

I really like what you said, "he does speak, just listen!" And it is amazing, isn't it, how much our kids can say with a smile, a hug, or those beautiful almond shaped eyes!

Unknown said...

thank u for your comments, yes u r right Ellen, Anthony says more with that beautiful smile than any words could express.