Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Papa's last Christmas (A writing prompt)

My latest writing prompt has me strolling down a snowy(and sometimes not so snowy) memory lane of the holiday season.
I could write about so many things from my Aunt Mary's story of truancy to see Ol' Blue eyes to the the last Christmas day in the house I grew up in.
However, it is the first Christmas in that same house that I will recall. It was 1979, my relatives from my mother's side of the family had all come to eat, open presents, laugh, smile, and have our last Christmas with the patriarch of the Arena clan, John Joseph Arena.
I love my papa just as much today as I did then. It was a bit crazy, lots going on, much like most family parties, and the 'foot fixer' was one of the gifts my papa received. He and Nana sat on this old long arm chair that for some strange reason developed lumpiness as it got older.

As a child of 10 years old, it was all a bit overwhelming to be in a new home, albeit a big old drafty(I miss that big old drafty house now) colonial at that. Before that we lived there we lived in a small house. It was a great place for entertaining and once you had enough people in the house, it got warmer, in more ways than one. It was warmer with heat, but it was also just a cozy warm feeling to have such a big family and be able to all be together at the holiday.

I wish the same for everyone reading this - Happy holidays to you and your family!





5 comments:

Alison said...

Wow - I can't remember Christmas 1979 at all!!

I hope Christmas 2012 is just as special.

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays! Great prompt. I remember having to write prompts in elementary school and I loved it!

Unknown said...

Makes me think back to when my grandparents moved to a new home. So glad you joined the writing prompt!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Alison, Whitney, and Ellen fr your comments!
I used to write a lot about my papa and nana, and thought this was a good opportunit to bring them back into my writing life.

Smithsholidayroad said...

Happy holidays to you and your family xx found your blog via Ellen Stumbo xx